- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 links of sweet or hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of quartered grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried
- 4 medium zucchinis
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- ⅓ cup of finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and onion and cook, breaking the sausage into small pieces, until it’s no longer pink, for about 5 minutes. Add the quinoa and water and bring it all to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer, cover it and continue to cook, stirring once or twice, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, should be 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from your saucepan from the heat and gently stir in the tomatoes and marjoram.
- Meanwhile, cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise. Slice off a thin layer off the bottoms so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a ¼-inch shell. (Discard the pulp.) Place the zucchinis in a microwave-safe dish and sprinkle them with pepper and salt. Cover and microwave on high until tender-crisp, should be 3 to 4 minutes, then uncover it.
- Position the rack in the upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high.
- Transfer the zucchini to a broiler-safe pan (or pans). Fill the zucchinis with the quinoa mixture and sprinkle them with cheese. Broil your zucchinis on the upper rack until the cheese is melted, for about 2 minutes.