- 4 tablespoons of canola oil, halved
- 2 cups of chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 pound of lean ground pork
- 2 cups of diced zucchini
- ½ teaspoon of salt, halved
- ½ teaspoon of ground pepper, halved
- 2 cups of corn kernels
- 1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups of stone-ground cornmeal
- ¾ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Start with the onion and chili powder and cook the,, stirring, until they start to soften, (should take about 2 minutes). Then add the pork, zucchini and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper, stirring often, until the pork is no longer pink, (should take about 4 to 5 minutes). Pour in the corn and their tomatoes with their juice and cook until everything is heated through, (should be about 3 to 4 minutes more). Then remove your pan from the heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the cornmeal, baking powder and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Beat the egg, then add the buttermilk and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil into another bowl. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the cornmeal mixture until the two are evenly combined. Then spread the batter over the fried pork and vegetables. Finally transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake until the cornbread is just cooked through, (should be about 15 to 20 minutes).